Friday, August 21, 2015

Temptation (why am I still screaming?)

Today I was convicted. I have some more learning to do you see. So, a few weeks ago I was subbing at a preschool. It was nap time for the kids and there were a lot of kids. But one kid, would NOT go to sleep. Granted, I was never a kid who was a big fan of naps. So, I understand not wanting to take a nap. But this kid was crying and crying and making noise and it had been an hour and a half already into naptime and he was still crying. I was trying to comfort him and coax him into laying down to rest, but it wasn't work. But then, I prayed. I prayed that he would lay down and rest. Five seconds later, he laid down and in a minute or two he was fast asleep. Second story, today I was babysitting and when I reached the house I was babysitting at, my phone wasn't working. The screen was black and it wasn't turning on at all. No matter how many times I pressed the power button and held it down. It was more than 80 % charged so it wasn't like it ran out of battery but nevertheless I put in the charger to see if that was the issue and it didn't work either. I was worried because that was my only mode of communication between the babysitter as well as my parents and anyone for that matter. Well, while I was there babysitting, the kids were playing on their kindles and IPhones so I decided to read the book I had brought with me which was entitled; Tempted and Tried which convicted me because one of the biggest temptations I have is Facebook and not only that but endlessly checking and seeing how many likes or what comments I get on my posts/photos so that my ego may be fed. And it's an easy thing for me to do considering I have Facebook on my phone. I don't know if this is the reason or not but when I read and was convicted, I prayed to God and asked that my phone would work for communication purposes but I also asked that if He was trying to teach me a lesson that I could learn the lesson without my phone being turned off. After I prayed, I tried pressing the power button on my phone again and it turned on. I sincerely think God was trying to tell me to take a break from Facebook and to evaluate my motives when I post things. To evaluate who's attention am I trying to grab and to stop trying to scream when I should be quiet. Again, still working on the quiet soul. So, I'm at least taking a week off of Facebook and social media because I believe that is a lesson God is trying to teach me. But as well as that, He also has been teaching me the power of prayer and how even the small prayers are worth it. Faith is important in the life of a believer. God won't always grant your prayers but He just might so it is worth it to take the time to pray even over small things such as crying kids and phones that aren't working. And again, quiet souls and overcoming temptations through Christ. The book stated an important verse and I'm going to share it because it was a great reminder;

"With confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." -- Hebrews 4:16

Temptation is strong but the power of prayer is stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment