Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Beauty and Guys

"But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious."
-- 1 Peter 3:4
 
I know I am not the only one who struggles with this.
 
But...
 
One of the things I have been struggling with a lot this semester in school is the topic of beauty and guys. I have had guys trying to pursue me and giving me attention and I'm not saying this to be conceited or to complain, but it has been hard. Some people brush this off and say; "Oh it's so hard to have so many guys like you" but honestly, it sort of pressures me more than lifts me up. It makes me always conscious of the fact that there are guys wanting me to like them back. It makes me feel like I always need to be beautiful or worse, that my beauty is all they admire or look at. It makes it hard for me to trust guys and it makes me constantly think about or worry about who the guy is out there for me to marry and be my one true love.
 
But when I read this verse, it puts my thinking into proper perspective. It reminds me that I need to focus on my soul and my heart. I need to focus on being beautiful in God's sight. I don't need to worry about the suitors, or worry about guys. I need to focus on God and trust in Him and work on  my inward beauty and I know when the right one comes a long, I will know. It will work out because he will love me for more than just my looks. I know that because I won't marry anybody who only loves on the outside and does not go deeper than that.
 
I struggle with pride, I struggle with appearance, I struggle with overthinking.
 
But I know if I give it up to God,
my struggles well lessen and my love and peace will deepen.

It's kind of ironic because my friend actually posted similarly to do this because of the Victoria Secret's Fashion Show that was on tv last night and it made her want to write regarding beauty as well. It's just sad how the world limits beauty to body and skin. Beauty is so much more than that and love is going to have to go far more deeper than that if it's to last.

No comments:

Post a Comment