Sunday, November 2, 2014

Bandaids don't fix bulletholes...

“How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep...that have taken hold.”  

-- J.R.R Tolkein


Title credit goes to Taylor Swift. The thing is though, although it's not good to dwell on the past, the past certainly does have repercussions. Even though some wounds can heal and mend, I feel like the past is woven into the fabric of our souls and sometimes it still affects us even if we don't want it too. I know you can learn from it and move on from it, but there are certain things we'll never be ever to forget. Certain things that will change the way we look at things regardless of whether we want them to or not. I don't feel sad as I write this. I was actually quite content after having gone for a walk in the brisk cold to take a bit of a drive back to my college while listening to T.S's new cd when I heard that line in one of her songs. "Bandaids don't fix bulletholes." It got me thinking because it's so true and it made me think of one of my favorite quotes of all times from Lord of the Rings which made me think of the past. Not in a sad way, but a pensive, truthful way. The past doesn't define us, but it does shape us. And it certainly can leave it's marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment