Monday, March 14, 2016

I covered up my acne, am I pretty now?

I am not an extreme feminist or anything but I'm going to speak my mind right now on a big issue in our today's society. It's not fair to put so much value and importance on the need to be beautiful. know it goes with both guys and girls, but right now I am speaking from a woman's point of view (since I am one and all) and society puts way to much pressure and value on how the female identity is associated with being beautiful. To be a girl we need to put on loads of make-up. We need to shave our legs. We need to paint our nails. We need to look nice. This is what society tells us. This is what society values: our beauty. Now, sometimes I do too. Sometimes I care about being about being pretty more than I'd like to admit. I get annoyed with myself though when I do think this way especially because I would never want any other female to feel this way. That our looks are all that matter. That females need to be beautiful and attractive to have any merit. I don't want them to feel that because outward beauty is not where true merit lies. That being said, I don't even know why we view being pretty as an ultimate compliment! Because the truth is that being kind, being loyal, being caring and being a Godly woman are all things that are so much better than being pretty. The inside. That's what counts.

 So why do we feel obligated to look pretty?
 Why do we put so much focus on it?
 I don't know. 
But,
 I 
don't
 like
 it. 

W e  s h o u l d n ' t  need to be pretty to get a guy's attention.
 W e  s h o u l d n ' t  need to be pretty to be liked. 
W e  s h o u l d n ' t  need to be pretty to feel confident about our self. 

We shouldn't. 

Something to think about.
 Something to challenge us. 




1 comment:

  1. This is so true. It's especially scary when you think that all the energy we spend on being pretty is pointless -- we focus on the outside (which one day will be old and covered in wrinkles) so we don't have to work on our inner character. I'm at the end of myself with this!

    ReplyDelete