Monday, October 6, 2014

Elephant's Memory

"Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget."

 --Zora Neale Hurston


This is a quote taken from the book I'm reading in my contemporary literature class that I find quite fascinating. I think it's so fascinating and weird to me because I tend to think the exact opposite of this quote. I wholeheartedly wish that this was true for me. But unfortunately, I remember everything I want to forget and easily forget what I want to remember. There's this episode from Criminal Minds entitled "Elephant's Memory". Within the episode one of the main characters describes an incident in which he was bullied in school and how he never told anybody because he thought if he tried hard enough, he could just forget it ever happened. However, that wasn't the case. He still remembered it very clearly even though he wished he didn't. His coworker that he was talking to said that it was normal and how it happened to everyone. That when it comes to events that emotionally and personally affect us, we all have an elephant's memory. I guess this is all here to say, that I think it's interesting how it works. Because I want to be a women who can forget all the things I don't want to remember, but no matter how hard I try, there are some things that will always weigh on the back of mind and I will remember even though I don't want to. However, I still think it's good not to forget the good because we'll want them there to pull out when the bad memories come crashing in. I will want to glorify and praise God for the good, when the nightmares threaten to crush my daylight. So, no, I am not this person although I'm a women. I am not one who can forget what I don't want to remember. But perhaps, I could try to not make those memories count as much or weigh on me too heavily if I become a woman who can remember everything I don't want to forget. And that's everything that God has so graciously done for me in my life.

All glory be to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment