Thursday, April 21, 2016

Speak Up and Out

So, two things happened this week that led me to the title of this post.

1. I went to Zaxbys the other day and as I was ordering, one of the workers came up and told me that I was really pretty and the cashier said "yes, you are!". Now, I'm not saying this because I'm letting it get to my head. Because, honestly, most days I don't think I'm pretty. That's not the point of this though. I'll come back to this.

2. Last night I was asked to speak at our last college young adult group. All the Seniors (which were 5 in total) were asked to speak and just share about what God was doing in our life/here at college, etc. I don't like speaking. I'm a writer. I write. I don't speak.

But, 
(And here's where I am tying the two together) 
sometimes we need to speak up and speak out.

I spoke at Inroads (our college group), in front of some people whom I've never met and shared what God was doing in my life because I knew that maybe somebody needed to hear it. That's why we speak. That's why we speak up. Not necessarily because we need to, but because someone else needs to hear it. It's not really about us. I was nervous, yes, but I got through it. Now back to my first story. I'm not about to say that we should go around giving compliments left and right to people, because we don't necessarily need to do that. But I am going to say that a little kindness goes a long way. I was feeling kinda low in self-esteem that day and I know people aren't wear we should put our self-worth in, but it was just nice hearing that. It was encouraging. And I think we need more encourage-rs in this world. Even if they're strangers, there's no reason not to speak up and out.

Whatever the situation is, we need to be brave enough to speak about what matters.
To speak about what counts.
Because one day we won't have that opportunity to do so anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment